Tuesday, April 22, 2008

me and my doll


is the theme of Gothic Arches this week. I struggled a bit with this one as I couldn't find any decent images in my stash til I ran across this one. That and it was DH's B'day on Sunday and I had a meeting for work that day is why I'm a bit late for this one.

When I was a kid, my parents divorced and my mom remarried, taking me with her when she did. I had a very hard time with this and to escape the reality that was my life I spent more time with Barbie and the house I made her out of a cardboard box than I did with other people until I was befriended by the family next door. The scene in the image shows the place where I wish I could have been. I think she looks happy in her secret spot (that her parents set up!) playing with her favourite doll.

14 comments:

Femmy said...

this is a beautiful arch Mary-Beth!! love the image you used.

Sandy said...

Oh wow this is wonderful. Stunning design.

Tova said...

Beautiful !

Frieda Oxenham said...

This is a really lovely image and arch and just the place to escape to! Thanks for sharing the story with us. And it's really never too late to make up for a not so great childhood! I enjoy hearing about my husbands's one and it sort of makes up for mine!

Unknown said...

elle est très belle ton arche, bravo

vintage wil said...

beautiful arch !!

Anneke said...

wow this one is very gorgeous, and such a beautiful arch

Judy said...

Beautiful arch, Mary Beth, thank you for sharing your story and making your arch so personal!
JudyNZ

Barbara Hagerty said...

What a wonderful arch! I think everyone needs a private garden spot to enjoy solitude and think deep thoughts. I've never had one, but am still hoping....it's never too late....Your arch and your story remind me how much I long for that private garden paradise.

Debby said...

Mary-beth, this is gorgeous.
Debby

Faye said...

Thanks, Mary-Beth, for sharing your story as well as your gorgeous art. That is a very beautiful image.

Lisa Renéa said...

Stunning arch!! From the charms at the top to the paper tearing! I appreciate your story very much as mine is very similar. So glad you played along with the arch challenge, and I don't think there is ever a deadline, so always jump in! Thank you for your visit to my blog!

Hermine said...

Gorgeous arch.

paru's_circle said...

great art, thanks for sharing that part of your life..sounds familair to me..sending you huge hugs..Pxxx